ABOUT THIS ITEM:
Makhanas are also known as fox nuts, Euryale ferox, lotus seeds, gorgon nuts and phool makhana. These seeds are often used in quite a few Indian sweets and savouries like kheer, raita or makhana curry, and are also eaten as an evening tea-time snack.
BENEFITS OF MAKHANA:
1) They are low in cholesterol, fat and sodium. This makes them an ideal snack to satiate those in-between meal hunger pangs.
2) They are beneficial to those suffering from high blood pressure, heart diseases and obesity due to their high magnesium and low sodium content.
3) Makhanas are recommended for diabetics too due to their low glycemic index.
4) An anti-ageing enzyme in these seeds is said to help repair damaged proteins.
5) In addition, the presence of a natural flavonoid called kaempferol (also present in coffee), helps prevent inflammation and ageing.
6) Ayurvedic beliefs suggest that fox nuts astringent properties that benefit the kidneys.
7) Makhanas are gluten-free, protein rich and high in carbohydrates.
8) They are low in calories, making them an ideal snack for weight loss.
9) Ayurvedic and Unani medicine believe them to have aphrodisiac properties.